Disputes with Social Services

There are a multitude of potential disputes between Social Services and parents, grandparents and extended members of the family. BHP Law can help you in disputes and even help you claim against social services where children are involved.


Disputes With Social Services

Sadly, there seems to be more and more “State intervention” in people’s right to a family life. Social Services, usually through the Local Authority, can come into dispute with parents over the way in which children are being looked after by parents or the family as a whole.

A Local Authority often gets information from various sources, the school, the police, next door neighbours and a variety of other means of communication, quite often anonymously.

In the current climate, however, Local Authorities are faced with taking all these issues seriously and, at the very least, investigating the allegations which, on occasions, are motivated by malice and self-interest. Unfortunately, amongst some of these allegations there are real “welfare issues” that need to be addressed. It is often disconcerting and stressful when any parent is visited by the authorities whether that is the Police, Local Authority, Social Worker or any other representations of a statutory body.


Our Social Services Legal Advice 

BHP Law has a number of accredited lawyers who can deal with the issues as they arise. Our services include the initial investigation stage, possibly an interview at the police station and certainly, at meetings and conferences held by the Local Authority and various other agencies. We can even help you claim against social services if needs be.

Within the Care Proceedings section of our site there is more information in relation to the obligations and actions the Local Authority should be taking. In this section you can look at what steps you can and should take, additionally it highlights when to take legal advice, in particular: 

  • Police Powers - Police have powers of their own to remove children for very limited periods of time under police protection powers. This is exceedingly rare and again, should only be done in circumstances where there is an immediate risk of harm to the children.
  • Emergency Protection Order - Where the Local Authority are seeking an emergency removal of the children from the care of parents? 

As BHP Law has a dedicated team of family lawyers dealing with disputes with Social Services on a daily basis, it is essential for parents to know and understand what rights they and their children have to a "family life".


What If The Worst Happens? 

If, unfortunately, the Local Authority have taken children into care under an Interim Care Order or, at the end of proceedings, determined the children could not return, then, depending on the placement of those children, issues such as future contact must be resolved.


Contact Us About Social Services Disputes 

Call us today for a free no obligation chat about disputes with social services, including claiming against social services on 0800 590019 or contact one of our local offices in Newcastle, Durham, Darlington or Stockton in Teesside.

Alternatively please email with your details or fill in the online enquiry form and one of our Team will contact you within 24 hours.



Make an enquiry
Our Video Legal Guides